The production of food relies on a functioning ecosystem. Stable weather, pollinators and essential microorganisms in the soil are vital for our food production. However, the food chain is a major influence on the conditions for a stable climate. A large proportion of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions derive from the food chain. Overuse of chemical pesticides and fertilisers is another risk in our industry. In addition, our industry contributes to plastics pollution in the ocean. Delivering quality means taking just as much care over how the product is created as how it is appreciated when consumed. It is our responsibility to ensure, as far as possible, that satisfying our customers’ demand for high-quality food and household products does not jeopardise the needs of future generations. The fact that many of our products are manufactured in countries far away makes corporate responsibility particularly important.
PRODUCTS WITH AS LITTLE ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT AS POSSIBLE ARE CONTEMPORARY QUALITY
For us, sustainable responsibility is about:
- Sound, long-term business.
- Safeguarding human rights as defined by the UN.
- Promoting increased compliance with the ILO’s core conventions.
- Ensuring that today’s production and consumption of goods and services takes account of our planet’s capacity to deal with waste products and recover.
What do we do to achieve this?
- We favour renewable energy sources and materials.
- We reduce the extraction of resources.
- We choose suppliers that have sustainability certified products or third-party verified sustainability work and/or climate goals.
- We are members of BSCI and demand the same standards from our suppliers that have production in risk countries.
Arvid Nordquist holds ISO 14001 environmental certification and FSSC 22 000 quality certification.